Introduction to a Future Anesthesiologist

     Hi everyone! My name is Rohit Thomas and I am a junior studying Microbiology on the pre-med track. I want to become an anesthesiologist and work in the operating room. I love my major because it is so interesting to learn about the world around us and organisms that are inside of us. When I am not studying I like to go hiking, watch Netflix, listen to music, and sometimes even try to produce beats. I listen to a lot of different types of music from 70s classic rock to Travis Scott and EDM. Recently, I have even started listening to British rap. My favorite things to watch on Netflix are shows with a lot of drama and action, and one of my favorite shows that fits this criteria is Mad Men. Other shows I constantly find myself watching are The Office and That 70s Show. However, a lot of my time this quarantine was spent playing Warzone with my friends.

Favorite Mad Men Poster? : madmen

Poster for Mad Men

    I am very excited for this class because I have been exposed to Indian epics in the past but I have never read them in depth and learned about the characters. This class is a great opportunity for me to learn new things about my culture and better my writing abilities. That is another reason why I wanted to take this class. The past few semesters I have been taking a lot of science classes that do not require me to write in a non-academic way. I am really excited for this semester since I have been spending a lot of time back home and I am ready to get back in my flow for school, even if my two in-person classes only last a couple weeks.

Comments

  1. I bet anesthesiology is one of those words people often have to look up with their spellchecker, Rohit... but you can probably type it without even thinking! And you will find all kinds of intersections between your interests and the stories from India, like the way the god of medicine was created from the churning of the ocean of milk (not in med school, ha ha): Dhanvantari - link ... and you could even try a Mad Man mash-up story, like maybe they have to do a campaign for tourism in India: the Taj Mahal is a Mughal site that is part of Muslim history in India, but there are famous sites connected to Hindu stories -- just check out the UNESCO World Heritage sites in India - link: there are so many of them, so spectacular! I wish we could visit them for real in this class, but at least we can visit them online! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rohit,

    It's nice to meet you, I don't think we've met before. I applaud your effort of trying to become an anesthesiologist. I think your tastes in movies is excellent for sure. I see that you like to play Call of Duty, we should play together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rohit! Microbiology huh? That sounds like something I could never do. I am particularly bad at anything to do with math or science, so that would be killer for me. It is always good to see people doing the things I could never do though, because it ensures that someone is covering a field that I am lacking on! I have also dabbled in warzone myself (I freaking suck) and it was a fun time with friends! Games are always better with the boys :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rohit,

    Wow! I feel like Anesthesiologists are so overlooked in the medical field. They do so much and seem to carry so much pressure on their shoulders! I’m so glad you want to pursue that cause I don’t think I’d have the guts to do it! I also really love Netflix, if you love drama and action I recommend the show Cobra Kai! It follows Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence post Karate Kid, it’s a really great action filled show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rohit.
    That is great that you know what field of medicine you want to pursue. I am pre med as well and still have no idea of what speciality I would want to do as a career. I also like to Travis Scott. I even tried his collaboration with McDonalds haha. I hope you have a good semester and good luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rohit! That's so cool that you are going into medicine and know exactly what you want to do. I am a big fan of classic rock as well, and listen to a really wide variety of music. One of my favorite shows is That 70s Show as well, and I'm so sad that they took it off Netflix recently. I feel like they've been removing so many shows that I like. Hope you are having a good semester so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rohit! I am a biology pre-med major but I am currently taking a microbiology class and I love it! It sounds like you are in to a lot of different types of things other than school so I'm glad that you have found a good and enjoyable way for you to unwind... That will be especially good when you start studying for the MCAT!! I am actually nervous to write in a non-academic way this semester so I hope that I can find a way to become more comfortable with it and enjoy it more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rohit! I'm a biology major aiming for dental school! I'm really jealous that you have a lot of hobbies outside of your schoolwork! I often struggle with finding hobbies that I can stick with for a long period of time. The Office is definitely my go-to show when I want some noise in the background. I watched the whole series a couple times by now and the jokes never get old! Good luck on the rest of this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rohit,
    I am also a microbiology major but I am a pre-pharmacy student! I love that you have so many hobbies to enjoy outside of school work as it is very important that we all keep our sanity intact as we survive this pandemic together. I love that you're pre-med, I was a pre-dental student myself, however, switched to pre-pharmacy as I was not too comfortable with hand-on surgeries. Best of luck to you in the future and I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Rohit!
    I think it is super cool you want to be an anesthesiologist! I also like a lot of music and european music is really fun to get into, I like some german rap. Hiking is really fun too! I haven’t gotten to do much hiking recently but my dog is almost old enough to take on the trails! I hope you get to do some fun stuff soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story: The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart