Week 2 Story: The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart

    On this day a great many millennia ago the Bodhisattva lived as a monkey, but not as an ordinary money. No, here the Bodhisattva lived as the Great Monkey and was as a big as an ape that resided in the jungle. Because of this the Great Monkey had to feast on many fruits to satiate the hunger it always felt. However, one day the Bodhisattva realized that it had ate all the delicious fruits on its side of the Ganges and while she was looking for more nourishment the Bodhisattva spotted the abundant fruit trees on the opposite side of the Ganges, but there was just one problem: the Great Monkey did not know how to swim. 

    To get to the other side she needed help and decided to ask the male and female crocodiles who lived in the Ganges to help her get to the other side. When the pair of crocodiles heard her proposition the wife got greedy and very much wanted to eat the Great Monkey, so she told her husband to trick the Bodhisattva and bring her to the wife in the deepest part of the Ganges. At first, the husband did not like the plan as he had no desire to eat the Bodhisattva with which they had lived in harmony with up until now, but as he saw his wife's great desire to eat he yielded as he would do anything for his mate. 

    The husband crocodile carried the Great Monkey on his back through the Ganges, and as they traveled they talked about the mysteries of life and how content they were with their existence. Now, the crocodile started to feel guilty about tricking the Bodhisattva and explained to her the ploy that his wife concocted, but the Bodhisattva just laughed and said "Oh my friend greed is always in our hearts no matter how content we are with our existence. I know you want to keep your wife happy, but I know something that will quench your wife's desire for my heart." The Bodhisattva explained to the crocodile how she would give his wife something more delectable than monkey meat and all he had to do was take her to the mango tree across the bank. The crocodile relented because he knew the Bodhisattva never spoke lies and carried her on his back across the Ganges to the great mango tree. 

    When the wife saw this she immediately felt betrayed by her husband and quickly swam to the opposite bank; however, it was too late and the Great Monkey was already in the safety of the mango tree. The Bodhisattva spoke to the female crocodile saying "My friend I will give you something more delicious than me." She threw down a big juicy mango into the open maw of the female crocodile and as she chewed it the crocodile was in awe at how sweet and delectable the fruit was. She said to the Bodhisattva "I am sorry oh great one. Never in my life have I tasted anything so delicious from now on I only crave fruits like this." Now her husband crocodile was overjoyed at seeing this as his wife's greed had been curbed and he had made a new friend in the Great Monkey. Here the three friends lived their days by the abundant fruit trees which gave them rejuvenated life and reinforced their friendship.

Author's Note: This story is based off of "The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart" by Marie L. Shedlock. Originally, the monkey just tricks the crocodiles, but I changed it so that the ending is a little more happier and they all live in harmony. I also really wanted to incorporate mangoes into my re-telling as I have been really craving mangoes recently. 

Bibliography: "The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart"Jataka Tales, Marie L. Shedlock

How I successfully Learned to Draw a (Realistic) Portrait — in under 24  hours | by Ohans Emmanuel | The Happiness of Pursuit | Medium
The Great Monkey from Medium

Comments

  1. Hey Rohit! I am a sucker for happy endings myself, so the idea of the trick just being a new offer proposed by the monkey is a really solid change. I think happy endings are the best, especially when they teach all of the characters (including the reader) valuable lessons. I also love the fact that you were inspired by mangoes because you are craving them, thats funny because those simple things I also use for inspiration myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rohit. I actually read this story for one of my week's story, so it was interesting to see your take on the story. I too enjoy a happy ending, so that was nice to see. I also think it was so funny how you included mangos because of your cravings. It is funny how our thoughts like that can just enter our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rohit! I remember reading this story a few weeks ago, and almost did a similar story to this one. I enjoyed reading this story, and read something similar to this in a fable book as a kid. I liked that you changed this story around so that it had a happier ending, as the ending was kind of sad. Good job on this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rohit! Your story was very enjoyable to read. The plot was very suspenseful as I thought maybe this story would end similar to the crab and the crane and the female crocodiles husband was actually leading her to her death. Where does the Great Monkey's kindness stem from? Why was he so forgiving of the crocodile's greedy wife? It would be cool if you maybe provided some more background on their friendship so that we can understand the Great Monkey's kindness and understanding of her plot for betrayal better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Anesthesiologist