Week 4 Story: Rama and Sita

Author's Note
    I decided to put my own spin on the story of Rama and Sita. In the original story Rama visits Sita's kingdom where she is a princess, and the only person she can get married to is the one who is able to use the Bow of Shiva. Rama not only is able to use the bow, but snaps it in half with his insane amount of power. I put my own spin on it by putting these characters in a more modern setting.

Bibliography
Ramayana, Various Authors, Public Domain Edition

Why did Lord Rama send Sita Devi in Exile?

      "I'll never find the right one" Ram thought to himself. He always felt pressure from his father to find the right girl. Someone who would support him so that Ram could run his father's multi-million dollar company well. But to Ram it seemed like all they want him for is the money. However. this all changed when he thought he met the one: Sofia. To him she was perfect. Intelligent, driven, and her family also owned a big company so it was a match made in heaven. Still, they kept their relationship a secret from their families so that there would not be any pressure from the parents. 
    As their relationship progressed through the months, it was finally time to tell the parents. They first met Ram's parents and it went amazing. His parents loved her and thought she was perfect. Now all they had to do was convince her stoic and unyielding father. Now this was the hard part. In the business world Sofia's father was known for his lack of emotion, and the first time Ram met him he immediately understood. Just being his presence Ram felt an immense pressure from the man, it was crushing. But Ram had to convince this man that he was right for his daughter, and for Sofia, Ram would overcome anything. At first, the conversation between the two were superficial, but soon Sofia's father started questioning Ram about business tactics. He gave Ram scenarios and Ram would have to tell him how to approach the situation and get the best outcome for the company. These were the trials Ram had to go through to marry Sofia, and that was the thing that motivated him the most. When her father posed the last question, Ram thought about it over and over again but this one was different than all the others. The other questions just took a little thinking, and for business savvy Ram they were easy to answer. But this one, this one was just impossible to figure out. "It's impossible" Ram blurted out. "There's no way to win in that situation." Sofia's father laughed, a deep hearty laugh. "You're right" he said. "There is no way to win." "You're the first one to see and admit that. Everybody else just makes up some random answer. I see now why my daughter likes you. I give you my blessing." Those five words made Ram overjoyed and he knew that this was the beginning of a new chapter in his life.

Comments

  1. Hi Rohit!

    I really loved your spin on the Rama and Sita story! I thought putting it in a more modern setting really made me pay more attention since it seems like something that happens quite often! I also thought it was interesting how the questions Sofia’s father asked pertained to business and not to how Ram treats Sofia. It was interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rohit, I loved your modern version of Rama and Sita! The idea of setting this story in the corporate business world is so original and made me smile to think about. I loved that you showcased Ram as a admirable and honest man who remains true to himself when trying to win over Sofia's father. I feel like this is so reflective of Rama in the Ramayana. I wonder if there are more parallels between Rama breaking the bow and Ram admitting that answering the question is impossible? I feel as though Rama breaking the bow is a reflection of Rama's power and how he accidentally uses too much force to snap the bow, underestimating his ability. What if Ram in your story perhaps thinks little of himself after admitting he can't answer the question, but ultimately the father praises him for it because Ram is honest and acknowledges his inability to answer the question? I think it would be really cool if you explore more of the similarities between the two stories! Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story and I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rohit! I liked how you transformed the tale of Rama winning Sita into something modern. I think the way you demonstrate Ram's honor and honesty is well portrayed with the interactions with Sofia's father. If I had to give a minor critique, I would say instead of simply listing the good qualities of Sofia, instead demonstrate those qualities through her actions in the story. Otherwise, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Anesthesiologist